Monday 1 October 2012

Dying to Self



The Hardest of All

Die to self, live to Him, pick up your cross and follow Him daily

How many do you know who do this with any seriousness? I can count just four, perhaps six or seven people of whom I can say that they die or died to self daily. That is from all the hundreds, perhaps thousands of people I know – just a handful.

There’s been a word burning within me, burning in my spirit lately. “Unless a seed falls to the ground . . . . . . .” We need to die to self and live to Him alone. This applies to me as much as anyone. If I/we don’t die to self then our view of revival will be a limited one. (Limited in terms of us limiting revival rather than giving it full flow, and limited in that we will not see much of it.) If we stop looking at the clock, then we might just see revival sooner rather than later.

How many of us even consider the implications of picking up our cross? The cross is an emblem of suffering. Do we want to suffer for our Lord? The Word of God says that we must pick up our own cross of suffering and die to self in order to follow Jesus more closely and become like Him.

This is the hardest of all Jesus commands. To die to self we must crucify our old self and totally put on the new self promised to all who are born again. Very few people manage to do this. It is all about ME and my ego, my pride, my feelings, how I look in other people’s eyes. Pride, vanity, ego, self – all of Satan’s best weapons arraigned against us. Yet Jesus says to put all of these to death in order to follow Him.

I, for one, am glad nobody ever promised me an easy life as a Christian. I am so glad of corny old clichés cos I am so glad that there is no “I” in “team”. Jesus and I are a team and that means there is only room for team Jesus – no I nor me, just Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment