Tuesday 16 October 2012

Do we care what God thinks?



Do We Just Not Care Enough?

I have a reasonably different view of the Church in various lands, particularly America, because I have ministered all over Europe and my wife is a Texan – a kind of American with a very independent or ornery spirit. Seriously though, as an adherent of Facebook, I see a lot of so-called “Christian” stuff put out onto the airways that would make our Lord weep – probably does make Him weep if the truth be known.  I really do try not to be too critical or harsh or judgemental in my own comments – my wife is an ardent critic – and usually pretty well on the nail. Yet what I see on there really is hatred and positively demonic in nature. No really – it cannot be described as anything but demonic.

How can Christians of the so-called right and left wings be so hateful towards one another? To be absolutely fair, it is not often that the right is particularly hateful. The left is representative of what I would call “the religious liberals” and, similar to their political counterparts, the liberals do not tolerate any view but their own and consider any other view to be bigotry, hatred, and racist. They play the racist card or the bigotry card virtually every time you disagree with them. On the other hand the far right claims any deviation from their own view to be apostasy. We cannot win !!

Now everyone thinks they are caring and mindful of other folk, but I wonder if we have gone so far down the road of liberalism and political correctness that we have completely lost sight of Jesus. We seem to care so much about our own politically inspired viewpoint that we may be losing our perspective and I now wonder whether we actually care enough about God’s perspective or if we have replaced it with the worlds version. I am a Pentecostal and therefore I am boxed in with the Christian right. I see criticisms that are far too ridiculous to air here in that the criticism expressed is actually what both left and right claim to be their own ground and perspective. As Billy Graham once put it, it is like a broken pencil – pointless.

I am personally criticised and harangued regularly because I cannot and therefore do not support either same sex marriage nor abortion. I can find no scriptural basis for either. Yet I have brothers and sisters in another camp, so to speak, who vehemently defend both causes. I don’t care how wrong to think I may be; I don’t care how long your list of supporting scriptures is; I don’t care if you gained a doctorate with your thesis on either one of them. I don’t support either same sex marriage nor abortion. Just as some may stick as closely to their point of view, so I am sticking to mine. We will just have to agree to differ and leave it at that. There is enough that we do agree upon for us to go forward together to present the world with the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Him the crucified sacrifice for our sins  and risen again – alive for eternity and longing for a relationship with each of us that we might eventually join Him in heaven.

Yet the question remains. Do we care enough about God’s point of view or are we stuck, like on old record, caring only for what we believe in rather than what God wants us to believe?



No comments:

Post a Comment