Tuesday 5 February 2013

Vintage Stuff



Vintages

Remember 1943? That was a good year – no – a great year. A vintage unsurpassed before or since. Why? Because it was the year that introduced something quite unique to the world. Me!! Every year has its vintages. The vintage for 1908 was the Model T Ford. 1936 saw the birth of the Jaguar SS100, while 1962 found the Ferrari 250 GTO – generally regarded as the worlds first “super car”. The 1945 vintage was perhaps not so good being the first atom bomb, while 1969 saw a man on the moon for the first time.

The 1904 vintage offering was the Welsh Revival and Azusa Street followed suit a year or two later. There was revival in Lewis, largest of the British Hebridean Islands in 1949, in Argentina in 1985, then in Toronto Canada (’93?), Pensacola Florida (’95?), and Smithton Kansas (’98?) all followed. All in vintage years.

What will be the vintage of 2013? For us personally, last year, it was the deepening of our personal relationship with God. This year – who knows? Our church focus is on looking out instead of looking in. Our own focus, thus far, has been on making our town our mission field. With our church similarly focussing, we have the town surrounded and should soon start seeing more victories.

I used to think that I can think BIG – very big. Until, that is, I read Ephesians 3:20 ”Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us,” So what can I imagine that might stretch even God? Well – nothing. But I can stretch my own imagination a little bit.

Shall I ask for revival? Will everyone be prepared to pay the price? Shall I ask for a multiplication in our church or our town? Shall I ask for unity to start with our churches in our town? I am not inclined to ask for any of these – appealing though they may be. No. I am asking for our church, our people to stay in the middle of God’s will and plan for us. I am asking God to move where He wants, when He wants, using who He wants. I do not want anything that is not in line with His plans for me and my wife, our family, our church, our town, our world. I want ears to hear, eyes to see, rising discernment, and to be of use in His Kingdom work here on earth. I would like to see more visions and hear from Him more too.

I also want all of this for ALL of us. Then we will be the most blessed people on earth. This could be a real vintage year !!

No comments:

Post a Comment