Wednesday 29 May 2013

Hearts in the Balance



Our Heart in the Balance

Proverbs 21:2 “Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.”

How weighs your heart in God’s scales? His balance is pure and just – how does your heart measure up to God’s standard? I know mine doesn’t do very well at all.

We all make plans for the future but sometimes we make those plans with God and sometimes we make them without Him. Sometimes we make the plans on our own and sometimes God gives us the plans. The problem with our own plans is that they rarely match Gods plans for us. That is when they fail and, frequently, that’s when we blame God and ask Him why they didn’t work.

The problem with our own plans is that our motives are all too often plain wrong. Our heart is out of kilter with God’s heart so our motives are out of kilter too. As Proverbs says, Every way of a man is right in his own eyes, but the Lord weighs the heart.” The Lord knows our motives and our agenda every time we open our mouth to speak – He knows us before we speak.

If we were to make this our daily prayer, then perhaps, we would spend less time analysing ‘What went wrong?’ Psalm 51:10-11 “Create in me a clean heart, O God, And renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.”

Bringing our heart into line with God’s standards is a priority for all of us. As Paul said, so we need to echo, “I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Galatians 2:20

I look at my own heart and find it wanting. What must God see?

No comments:

Post a Comment