Wednesday 3 July 2013

Don't Fence Me In



Dont Fence Me In

There’s an old song that goes, “Give me land, lots of land and the starry skies above, Don’t fence me in!” Now why, oh why, would that song be brought to mind today? A clue – I read Psalm 139:7-10 “Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?  If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.  If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.” , closely followed by Jeremiah 23:24 "Who can hide in secret places so that I cannot see them?” declares the Lord. “Do not I fill heaven and earth?” declares the Lord."

So, what did I gain from these two verses? Nothing, until I read a response which said simply, “You hem me in.” This was a human response to the Word of God. What I got was a God response to a human word. As clear as a bell, I heard the Lord repeat those words – “You hem me in.” We cannot hide from God and He will not hide from us.

I knew immediately what He was saying but I asked anyway just for the confirmation. It was not long coming. “When are you going to let me out. Let Me loose! You have hemmed me in – to the corners of your lives; to the corners of your faith; to the corners of everything I want to bless for you.” He continued, “When will you let me fulfil My promises to you – allow Me to provide, protect, heal, and lead you?”

I believe the Lord is telling us that one of the reasons for the lack of real revival is that we stubbornly refuse to free Him up to move as He wishes. We forget that God is, above all, a Gentleman and He cannot, nay will not, go or move where He is not wanted.

I wonder when we will stop hemming God into our little boxes and let Him loose in everything. If His promises mean anything at all, it will be the most wonderful decision we could make for our nation, for the church, and for ourselves and our families.

Can we not do as the old phrase says – Let go and let God?

No comments:

Post a Comment