Monday 8 July 2013

Faith, Hope, & Love



Faith Hope and Love

First Corinthians 13 is that wonderful chapter on love. It is sandwiched between two chapters on the baptism and gifts of the Holy Spirit and this makes it, for me, one of the most read and loved passages in the Bible. I was asked to read the love chapter at both my sons weddings. I would have loved to have spoken about it too but not many Churches of England priests will give their pulpit to strangers so it never even came up for discussion. Here is what I might have said.

Marriage is based upon the three things spoken about in this wonderful chapter. It is based upon faith. From the earthly realm we have faith in each other, to stay together through thick and thin, through good times and bad times, and through rich or poor times. From the eternal perspective, faith in your marriage is based upon faith in and love of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hope in marriage is for family, for the future, for longevity in both life and the marriage. Yet hope is for more than the here and now. Our hope as Christians is for eternity as well. Hope for eternal life for ourselves and for all those we love; more than that, hope is for all who put their trust in Jesus Christ. Hope is for the return and reign of our Lord Jesus Christ – just as He has promised in His Word.

Then there is love. We are not talking about sloppy devalued dramatised love that trivialises everything it touches. We are talking about love that is solid and sure; love that endures problems and abuse; love that forgives and doesn’t keep records or grudges; love that is tough enough to say no yet is strong enough to hear that too. Love that is unreserved, undeserved, and unconditional.

I read perhaps the most moving testimony to love today – from wife to husband. It inspired this post. Grab a tissue, you may need it.

You are the MOST amazing husband anyone could ever dream of having.  You love me with no reservation and that I don’t deserve in the least. Incredible man of God, loving husband, loyal friend…all wrapped in a wonderful gift that God has blessed me with. You have made me feel like your Princess with how you love me.  You’re incredible and I couldn’t have had a more wonderful gift than you. God truly showed me how much He loves me when He gave me to you as your bride.
I adore you…always will.“

That made me weep tears of joy. That is what faith, hope, and love in marriage is all about.

No comments:

Post a Comment