Friday 12 July 2013

Hearing from God



Hearing from God

A few days ago, I was remarking that no-one in this modern era seems to have heard God as did the prophets of old. People like Samuel, Elijah, or Elisha don’t seem to exist any more. I don’t mean prophetically, I mean that no-one seems to hear God as these old time men of God heard Him. I mean, they had conversations – real “one on one” conversations with the Lord. How amazing was that?

Now, I have heard from God, and I have had some moments when I have had very short “conversations” with Him. But these guys, it seems, had long conversations with Him on an almost daily basis. Who these days has that kind of relationship with our living creator God? I know people who have conversations with Him, but not every few days or so. It’s a once or twice sort of thing, not a regular event. I hear from God, and regularly, but not in conversational mode. I have had Holy Spirit virtually “dictate” a Word to me for someone else, but not as a one on one talk together or discussion. I am not in the least unusual in this as I know a few people who hear from Him in the same or similar ways to me – more often and more accurately too!

So where are the men of God; the latter day Davids; men after God’s own heart whom He trusts and who converse with Him regularly? I suppose in the 20th Century there have been a few. I would suggest people like Rees Howells or Smith Wigglesworth had that relationship with Him. We know from their testimonies that people like Katherine Kuhlman,  Jackie Pullinger,  Heidi Baker, or Benny Hinn heard from Him and spent much time in His presence. It doesn’t matter one jot what we may think of these folk, but the fact remains that they heard from God at length – and always for a reason.

Now, I don’t want to seem foolish here, but I covet their relationship with God and I want to know how to get that close to Him. I don’t want it for any fame or prominence, I just want to get close to and hear from my Lord and Saviour. In the worlds eyes and in my own, I am probably getting a bit long in the tooth for the prominence bit, but I sure would like the testimony to pass on to those who don’t yet know Him in that way. Can you teach closeness to God? If so, I volunteer to be among those with the experiences to testify to it.

Something to pray about isn’t it? Do you have something to pray about too?

No comments:

Post a Comment