Wednesday 21 November 2012

My Jesus



My Jesus

This powerful song from Todd Agnew sums up the difference between Jesus as projected by the huge majority of churches and the real Jesus as reported for us in scripture. The song is the inspiration for this blog post – I use many of the original words.

Pretty blue eyes, curly brown hair, and a clear complexion is how many see Him as He dies for our sins. But the Word says He was battered and scarred - or did you miss that part. Sometimes I doubt we'd recognize Him.

My Jesus, the one I know as my Lord and Saviour, bled and died for me. He spent His time with thieves and liars. He loved the poor and accosted the rich, the comfortable and arrogant. He spent His time with thieves and sluts and liars. He spent His time with the least of all these.

My Jesus would never be accepted in most churches. The blood and dirt on His feet might stain the carpet. Yet He reaches for the hurting and despises the proud. I think He'd prefer any back street to the stained glass ‘cleanliness’ of some of our churches.

I want to be like my Jesus! Not a poster picture for all our prosperity, but like my Jesus. You see I'm tired of living for success and popularity. I want to be like my Jesus but I'm not sure what that means to be like You Jesus. Cos’ You said to live like You, and love like You - but then You went and died for me.

Can any of us be like You Jesus? Would he be accepted in your church? Or would He be thrown out for dirtying the carpet?

Which Jesus do you follow? Which Jesus do you serve? If Ephesians says to imitate Christ, then why do we look so much like the world?

Listen to the song?

No comments:

Post a Comment