Wednesday 7 November 2012

Someone to Love Me

Someone to Love Me

I had this short vision today. I saw a well known member of our congregation sitting in church one day. She was not the prettiest flower in the field, nor the best groomed lady present yet there was something about her that caught my eye. She was not the most popular person present either, in fact, we rarely saw anyone talking to her. She was a bit of an odd-ball. Hard to talk to and to get along with. Struck me as a very lonely soul somehow.

Our pastor told us all to greet those around us with a hug. We had often done this before and we all joined in with laughter and gusto. The lady I was watching was somehow unseen by those around her. She was being ignored. Suddenly, my wife shot off in her direction and grabbed her. They held each other close for a few seconds. When my wife let go, several others stepped up to the plate and hugged her too. When we all sat down again, I could see her cheeks glistening as a tear or two ran slowly down.

Afterwards, over coffee, she confided that she was indeed lonely. So lonely in fact that she had said to God that if she didn’t feel any love this morning, she would end it all. God in His love and mercy had answered her cry and she said that, for the first time in memory, she actually felt a little bit loved this morning. Then she left with a little smile tugging at the corners of her mouth.

I asked the Lord about this vision. He said He wanted to show me that there were so many people in need of “someone to love ME” and that this is what He was calling us to in our ministry. To love the unloved and the unlovable. To hug and to hold the lonely and the friendless. To laugh or to cry with the hurt and to bring His hope to everyone we meet.

This is something the Lord has been placing ever more urgently on our hearts. We are saying ‘yes Lord’. Is He putting something in front of you? How are you responding to Him?

No comments:

Post a Comment