Friday 8 March 2013

Prayer and Healing



Prayer and Healing

Not so much a blog posting but more a prayer and praise report from sunny England.

I learned a valuable lesson on healing yesterday. I was listening to my wife reading an excerpt from the sermons and teaching of John G Lake. Lake was asserting that the Biblical route to healing is to pray for yourself first.

I had had a great big fat headache since the early hours of the morning. It hadn’t gone away all day and was, by this time, throbbing away. I was feeling literally sick as, at the time, it was past 4.00p.m. My wife had prayed for me – no effect. My colleagues at the charity shop had prayed for me – still no effect. I had several Facebook friends pray for me – still nothing. So I listened to John Lake. More importantly, I read my Bible and allowed the Word of God to minister to me.   This started to get personal as I read the Amplified version of James 5. It was as if the Holy Spirit was reading it to me. He said, “If you are afflicted in any way – YOU pray first. Then ask for help and only then ask for leaders to anoint you. Your own prayer is powerful enough for this. You don’t need any help – just a mustard seed of faith.” I prayed and within three minutes that headache was gone. Hallelujah \o/

Later in the day some friends arrived for our regular prayer evening with them. I learned another lesson. Their granddaughter had been struck down by malaria in Africa. He had rallied the whole church to prayer for her. She recovered but had been struck down again. We believe we had stopped praying before total healing was completed, so this time ‘we did the job properly’ and hopefully she is now fully restored.

Then, mid-morning yesterday, we get an urgent text from a close family member. My wife’s granddaughter, aged three, has had a seizure and is in hospital. We immediately prayed with them and for them. We heard a couple of hours later the child had a fever and the seizure was almost certainly fever induced and there for of little real concern. Last night she slept very soundly and peacefully – praise God. Yet this was yet another lesson in the power of praying for healing. Another friend, last year, received a wonderful healing which we believe came on the back of concerted fervent prayer.

We have recently been privileged to have taken over running one of our church’s most visible outreaches into the society of our town. This came about after much prayer and visions the Lord has given me for the place. The premises we occupy have enough space downstairs for a fair sized shop and a small 20 seat cafĂ©. Upstairs is a large stock room, two sub-let rooms, and a spare medium sized room. We are now planning to use this spare room to house a healing room and a prayer room. Three days for one, and two days for the other – not sure which way around yet.

We truly believe in the power of prayer and in God’s willingness to heal – top of head to tip of toes – complete and total healing.

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I love the part about your headache. It's important we pray first because otherwise we're seeking an independent "power source" and relying on others. There is no interaction or reliance on God directly, or any exercising of faith in Him in that process, we're trusting prayer from others. But when we pray first, it starts with us communing with God, demonstrating our faith in Him, and from that position making our request and expressing our reliance on Him. That's why praying first is so important. Now that you have stirred this topic in me, I may just have to do a blog post on it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you Scotty - thanks for your encouragement :-)

      Delete
  2. Great post! I love the part about your headache. It's important we pray first because otherwise we're seeking an independent "power source" and relying on others. There is no interaction or reliance on God directly, or any exercising of faith in Him in that process, we're trusting prayer from others. But when we pray first, it starts with us communing with God, demonstrating our faith in Him, and from that position making our request and expressing our reliance on Him. That's why praying first is so important. Now that you have stirred this topic in me, I may just have to do a blog post on it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete