Monday 18 March 2013

Spring Cleaning



Spring Cleaning

It’s that wonderful time of year known as Spring, and it is approaching fast. Here in England the temperature has reached the dizzying heights of the mid-40’sF but even on the sunny days it is still on the ‘brisk’ side. There is still plenty of frost left in the winter and warm coats are still the order of most days. Weather aside, Spring also means that it is time to plan to do a little Spring Cleaning. You all know what that means – yes – dust flying everywhere as we clean out and dust off all the old winter staleness and prepare our houses for the coming year.

There is a serious and special side to this too as we prepare spiritually for the coming year. It’s is time to sweep the dirt and dust from our lives; to clean out the dirty bits grimed by a long, cold, and dark winter; and clear our minds of the clutter of the past  ready for the excitement of the future.

I think the future is exciting, don’t you? I think the prospect of our Lord coming back for us fairly imminently is enough to get me quite excited anyway. So – what do I need to do to prepare for this? More to the point, what do I need to do to ensure that what I do manage to do for God’s Kingdom this coming year will not be wasted if He delays His return for a few more days?

Now I have never been one to theorise over much. Unlike some I could actually name, I don’t tend to over think everything. I don’t even try to cover all angles. I never try to please everyone – that’s impossible anyway – and I try to remain as objectively pragmatic as it is possible for me to be. I believe I hear from God clear enough for me not to fast and pray all my time away. I only do that if and when the Lord shouts at me to do so. I certainly don’t decry those who do – it’s just that I don’t, and please, don’t go all religious on me and criticise my ‘lack of spirituality’ – I shall happily ignore you with a totally clear conscience.

With no God-given vision to lead or inspire me, (most folk don’t have a vision), I think I would simply prepare my testimony for the one in front of me ‘today’. Does he or she need help that I can give? Do they know that Jesus loves them as much as He loves me? Do they know He died for them too? You see, Spring Cleaning doesn’t have to be a grand scale affair at all. All we need to do is to update our testimony, practice loving neighbours as ourselves, and being prepared to speak the good news of Jesus to anyone as the Spirit leads us. Oh yes – that and practicing our listening, hearing, and obeying Holy Spirit as He speaks to us.

And He will speak to us if we have ears to hear.

No comments:

Post a Comment