Wednesday 27 March 2013

Voice in the Wilderness



Voice in the Wilderness

Isaiah 40:3-5 “A voice of one calling in the wilderness, “Prepare the way for the Lord; make straight in the desert a highway for our God. Every valley shall be raised up, every mountain and hill made low; the rough ground shall become level, the rugged places a plain. And the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all people will see it together. For the mouth of the Lord has spoken.’ “

I heard these words again today – “I am just a voice, speaking for one who is already in the wilderness, “Get ready for God. Give him a straight road – no valleys, dips, or bumps – no mountains or hills in His way – flattened and smoothed out – ready for Him to come and show us the Glory of the Lord. Everyone will see His glory at the same time because God has decreed it.”

Sounds to me like a warning, a prophecy of impending events. The rapture? The second coming? The fulfillment of prophecy? Or was it for me, telling me my role as one speaking out that which I hear the Lord saying to me? Why me? Why not me? What about timing – when will this happen? Is it for now or for some future time? Is it for you or someone else?

So many questions.

What’s to do, then? Well, firstly, who is it “already in the wilderness” who is crying out? This speaks to me of a “nobody”, one of no reputation, an unknown – although it could be one of ‘lost’ reputation, perhaps removed from pulpit. This person has no platform from which to tell of what they see, no visible credibility. Yet it is someone about to be used by the Lord in a mighty way to herald and prepare the church for Jesus’ coming. So someone credible and with that visibility looks like they will be the mouthpiece for the unknown one – maybe anonymous one.

Second, the Word is calling for us to clear the way in readiness. Clear the way with a determination and sense of purpose that will allow nothing to stand in the way. In January, our church had a word about preparing and clearing the runway. That analogy fits this scripture. To land a plane you need a clear straight, smooth, flat and level tract of land with no obstructions in the way. In our prophecy it was so the Holy Spirit can land in our midst. In the scripture, it appears to point to Christ.

What I find interesting is, as with all such prophecy from Old Testament times, we should have such detail of what is about to happen yet with enough rough edges as to allow for doubt and/or discernment. So let me close with a familiar warning about staying ready, wicks trimmed, oil flasks full.

No one knows the hour of His coming except the Father. It’s just going to happen – I believe some day very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment